How to Point a Domain Name to Web Hosting
One of the most common questions that come to mind to newbies How to point a domain name to web hosting? And how will it work? How’s their website to be online?
You have a domain name and web hosting package, but you do not know how they will work together to be your website or blog online.
Here, I am explaining how to point a domain name to web hosting.
So, here the points on how to do
- What do you need to point a domain at your website or blog
- Connecting your domain to your web hosting
- What would be the Next Steps
What do you need to point a domain name to web hosting
Before you follow this tutorial, you will need to have done these two things first.
There are no rules on which one you buy first, a domain name, or web hosting.
- Registered a domain name: If you want to do your website online and point a domain name to your website, you can’t point a domain to a website if you don’t have your domain name.
If you haven’t bought your domain name, you can register your domain name from Namecheap, Godaddy, Name, and there are many more websites to register the domain name.
- Purchase the web hosting: Your web hosting is where your website files are stored, and you will need a host to provide you with the DNS(Domain Name Server) settings you need to point the domain at your web hosting.
There are many companies you can buy web hosting like GreenGeeks, Bluehost, Digital Ocean, Siteground, and many more.
Connecting your domain name to web hosting
- Find your web hosting DNS settings.
- Nameserver looks like ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com; usually, the web hosting companies have two name servers but some web hosting companies have more than two name servers. So, don’t panic about this. In this situation, you have to add all three simple.
- You should have received the name server in a web hosting account or via your registered email.
- Add name server to your domain with your domain registrar account.
- Login into your domain registrar account and find the section of manage, edit the manage, and where you can find the custom name servers.
- A most domain registrar will have labeled as DNS (domain name server) settings set up.
- Sometimes you have to wait 24 to 48 hours for the changes to take effect, and sometimes these changes immediately or take only 2 hours or less.
- Once the domain name servers have been updated, you can do your work.
I am showing you the tutorial of pointing the domain name from the Namecheap domain registrar and web hosting from GreenGeeks.
I have a domain name in Namecheap domain registrar and web hosting in GreenGeeks.
What would be the Next Steps
1. Login into your Domain Name registrar, then select the domain, click on the manage button
2. Select the name server to the domain name
3. Select the custom name server to a domain name
4. Login into your web hosting account, go to hosting section, click on manage
5. There are Domain Name Servers mentioned, copy one by one name server and paste to the custom name server to domain name account
6. Copied name servers from the hosting account, copy and paste one by one domain name server to domain name account, and click on the right tick
Your domain name and web hosting point together successfully. Now, you can manage your website.
These are the simple steps to point the domain name to your website. You also can read the post, How to start a blog?
You want to know more about the Domain name and web hosting.
Reviews of GreenGeeks hosting.
All the best!!!